Running the game from a DVD-R
Because I have not attempted this personally, I do not know what issues one may encounter. I wonder about Installation Directory. Can one run CityofHeroes.exe from ANY folder? Is the installdir only applicable to cohupdater.exe? What information does the game client actually pull from the registry? What if you import 'settings.reg' once and then come back with an updated client? What will happen on the login screen? Is the version stored internally or read from registry? --Konoko 13:37, 27 August 2007 (EDT)
- Installation Directory is only used by COHUpdater to find the client. CityofHeroes.exe can be run from any folder. The registry pulls the authentication server, graphics settings and a few other keys from the registry. The version is stored in the registry so you have to run a settings.reg on each update (I believe). -- Leandro 20:38, 27 August 2007 (EDT)
Even More Commands
I think it's possible to pass in just about any of the switches in the registry as a command line parameter. I know it works in demos. I haven't checked to see what affect it has playing the game but I suspect it will act as a temporary change to your settings. I'm not real sure what use those switches may have outside of demos, but there it is.
--Zloth 00:45, 10 September 2007 (EDT)
Command line arguments
Need to gather data. I summon Zloth! --Konoko
List of allowed command line arguments
- -demoframestats 1
- -project coh This will allow you to launch the game directly using CityOfHeroes.exe, completely bypassing the updater. It will cause a version mismatch error if there is an update on the server that is not installed on the client. This can allow you to log into the game when the updater is too busy or down but the servers are running fine.
both updater and program
- -screen x y (no quotes)
- -project game
- -renderthread 1
- -maxfps <number>
- -maxinactivefps <number> I set this to 5 so the framerate goes down when I alt-tab, freeing CPU time for other programs.
- -stopinactivedisplay 1 This will cause the graphic display to be completly frozen and unchanged while COH is not the foreground application. Very useful for running multiple clients on the same computer.
List of dis/un/not allowed command line arguments that one would think would be
Put command line arguments that do not work down here, preferably ones that one would assume would work, but do not.
How to spell Albuquerque
Cheers, --Konoko 22:57, 1 July 2010 (UTC)
Network Information: Correct?
Anyone know if the information under Network Information is correct? It looks dated and deprecated, and I get:
- Default Server: google-public-dns-a.google.com
- Address: 126.96.36.199
- > cohupdate.coh.com
- Name: cohupdate.coh.com
- Addresses: 188.8.131.52 184.108.40.206
- > cohupdateeu.coh.com
- Name: cohupdateeu.coh.com
- Addresses: 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168}
And move to unified live servers and.... searching for current NCsoft Answers too. Ay ideas? Taosin 10:45, 23 June 2012 (UTC)
While this may change in the future if CoH is saved (here's hoping), currently all cityofheroes.com links to download the game client redirect to this page. This makes it seemingly impossible to redownload the client.
If anyone knows of a reliable link to download the client that continues to function in the meantime, I'd love to know - I tried the game early on and moved on, always with the assumption I could return to CoH at any time. Well, it looks like that time is running out, so... --Volkai 20:08, 25 September 2012 (UTC)
- I downloaded the game via the launcher after the announcement. Now, that was only a day or two after, and I think before the links stopped working, but since the launcher still checks for updates and runs the game, it should still work. Felderburg 21:18, 25 September 2012 (UTC)
- The NCLauncher has indeed worked for installing the game. However, my (very very old, from around when CoV first came out) existing account doesn't seem to want to let me log in, and the 'create new account' button gives a grey box that says "this promotional account type is no longer available." However, those are issues for a different talk page, I suspect. Not sure which one though, sorry. --Volkai 01:27, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
- You may need to link it with an NCSoft account. If the account is that old, it would be from the days when Cryptic had the game... You should also try the official and Titan forums, someone may be able to help you there. Felderburg 21:56, 26 September 2012 (UTC)
- Unfortunately I'm not certain how I could link my old account to a new NCSoft account. I'm also not sure if that's possible, considering how long the account has been inactive.. unfortunately I've lost track of my old account's account registration key. I found the box with the installation DVD and it's not in there.
- As for the new account option, I'm not sure how to proceed with that, without a new account key available.
- I can't post on the official forums, as that requires a valid CoH game login (which is the problem at hand.) I have posted on the Titan forums at http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5334.0.html . --Volkai 00:59, 27 September 2012 (UTC)