Mercy Island (Pre-Issue 21)
Mercy Island is the first place a villain goes after escaping from the Breakout tutorial zone, excluding Soldiers of Arachnos (VEATs), who do not go through Breakout. As a beginner-level zone, most of the enemies are levels 1-6.
Here, villains will meet their first contact (Kalinda or Matthew Burke) and begin to make their presence known to the powers that be. They begin in an area called Fort Darwin, which also plays home to their first trainer: Arbiter Diaz. They'll likely spend their first five to six levels running missions out of here before picking up a new contact to the southwest. They tangle with large numbers of snakes, breaking the back of that group (at least on Mercy Island). Later missions take them to the area to the south called Fort Cerberus.
(Copied from City of Heroes official Web site )
In the days before Arachnos, Mercy was a lone town resting on the low banks of a large island. It was home to some fishing outfits and more than a few wintering pirates, but frequent disappearances and tales of bizarre snake-like creatures kept the population to a minimum.
Lord Recluse claimed this lonely spot of land shortly after his rise to power. Fort Cerberus was erected and patrols dispatched to discover the truth of these “snake-men.” The creatures were found in great numbers, but Arachnos’s overwhelming firepower quickly pushed them back into their warrens. Over the next decade, Mercy grew and the snake-men were forgotten. They were far from dead, however. They had simply retreated deeper into the bowels of the earth. Lord Recluse knew full well the “Snakes” remained, but he was content to leave a few survivors for future study and possible use in his plans of world conquest.
The Rikti War and the many opportunities it presented changed Recluse’s focus in the new millennium. The Snakes were forgotten and allowed to multiply. A year after the Rikti defeat, they rose from their warrens and rampaged through Mercy. Arachnos repulsed the mutants, but Lord Recluse mysteriously—and quietly—left the lower end of the island to the Snakes. The creatures had proved quite powerful, and he felt they could be studied and put to use in many of his secret operations.
The Snake-infested area of Mercy also provided Lord Recluse with another useful purpose—a proving ground for super-powered beings. Those with promise are brought here and tested with a series of tasks to determine whether they have what it takes to survive. Those who do are tracked for possible recruitment into Arachnos’ ranks. Those who don’t are left to fend for themselves, becoming prey to the stronger.
- Kalinda (Fort Darwin: -4159.2, 159.1, -2984.5)
- Matthew Burke (Fort Darwin: -3627.8, 65.6, -2843)
- └►(Doctor Creed)
- Mongoose (Darwin's Landing: -1182.5, 96, -394.5)
- Doctor Creed (Darwin's Landing: -1888.2, 96.2, -1576.4)
- Seer Marino (Fort Cerberus: -3045.6, 175.8, 1329.5)
- Darwin's Landing, the large neighborhood that forms most of the northern part of the zone, contains Doctor Creed and Mongoose. The Fortunata Fateweaver who adjusts a villain's notoriety in this zone is located under the clocktower at the Darwin's Landing marker. (Yellow - Level 1-4) (Music)
- Fort Cerberus is the small Arachnos fort in the southeastern part of the zone. Ghost Widow's tower is located in this zone; Seer Marino is also located here, in addition to the Black Helicopter Line to Cap au Diable. (Red - Level 6-8) (Music)
- Fort Darwin is the north-eastern fort where a villain starts their career in the Rogue Isles; it contains Kalinda, Arbiter Diaz, Matthew Burke and Alan Desslock. The Mercy Island Hospital is located here. (Green) (Music)
- Mercy is the neighborhood south of the wall that, along with Darwin's Landing, forms most of the island; it contains Arbiter Richard. The Mercy Island Arachnos Headquarters is located in the building behind Arbiter Richard. A Black Market truck is located between the doors to the Port Oakes Ferry and the doors to Fort Cerberus. (Orange - Level 5-8) (Music)
- Lorekeeper I - This monument is right up against the wall that splits the zone between Darwin's Landing and Mercy. It is 90 yards west of Mongoose. Coordinates (-907, 97, -377)
- All Quartermasters sell Levels 5, 10, and 15 TO Enhancements
- Alan Desslock sells Levels 1 and 5 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Kalinda sells Levels 1 and 5 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Matthew Burke sells Levels 1 and 5 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Doctor Creed sells Levels 1, 5, and 10 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Mongoose sells Levels 1, 5, and 10 TO Enhancements and Small Inspirations
- Seer Marino sells Levels 10 and 15 TO Enhancements, Level 20 Magic/Mutant DO Enhancements, and Small Inspirations
- There is a ferry south of the Mercy neighborhood that takes a villain to the Port Oakes zone.
- The Black Helicopter Line, located in the Fort Cerberus neighborhood, takes villains to Cap au Diable.
- There is also a helicopter in the Fort Darwin zone close to Kalinda that will allow a villain to move between Mercy Island instances, if there is more than one.